Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 23:17:55 +0000
From:      "Ian Kallen" <ian@gamespot.com>
To:        "Dark Insanity" <di@cyberstreet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some Commands

> From:          "Dark Insanity" <di@cyberstreet.com>
> To:            <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject:       Some Commands
> Date:          Sat, 17 Aug 1996 13:15:40 -0400

Doing admin on a webserver with no unix or webserver configuration
experience?  Whatever bravado or foolishness has overcome you, shake
it off now and start reading up.

> How do you edit a file?

vi filename

(man vi and/or get the pocket vi guide ISBN 0-916151-54-9 if you're
unfamiliar, which I suspect)

> How do I show how much Hard Drive Space I have Left?

df -k

(man df for more)

> Last Question, Ok like when someone goes to
> daemon.cyberstreet.com/idex.html It Shows a WWW Page but when they Click on
> a Link on the page set to umm say http://daemon.cyberstreet.com/links.htm
> It shows the Text in the file instead of the WWW Page but If I name it
> links.html it will show the Page and my users mostly name there Pages htm
> instead of html??? Can you Help Me?

You're server needs to know that .htm is included in the text/html
mime type, text/plain is the the typical default mime type so unknown
extensions such as htm will get treated as text/plain unless you
explicitly set it otherwise.  Add it with the AddType directive
(NCSA/Apache anyway) or edit you mime.types file (again, NCSA/Apache)
-- non-Apache/NCSA servers support this as well but the method of
configuring it will vary.

Ian Kallen                           ian@gamespot.com
     Director of Technology & Web Administration
            http://www.gamespot.com