Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 09:04:46 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        committers@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: p5-* ports

 wrote:
>  * > (1) Does it behave exactly like the one in ports?  For instance, the
>  * >     p5-* ports still will still go to the same directory
>  * >     (/usr/local/lib/perl5/...)?
>  *
>  * No - I belive we discussed this before? I'm negotiable, but I'd prefer
>  * /usr/local/libexec/perl5/.
>
> Yes we discussed it, but you said you're going to keep them in
> /usr/local/lib/perl5 for now, but split them to share/perl5 (manpages)
> and libexec/perl5 (everything else).

Right - it looks as though splitting out manpages will be a bit
problematic, but the idea of putting p5-* _code_ into local/libexec/perl5/*
is certainly going to eventually happen. I won't do it at first so
as not to break the ports tree.

> And you said you're going to give out a loud yell before you change
> that (I haven't heard anything coming from South Africa :).

:-) When I am commit ready, I'll start yelling and finalising policy
with you.  I will not commit until you are happy.

>  * > (2) If so, where does it get the value "/usr/local" from?
>  *
>  * It is a configuration option for perl's ./configure, and could be
>  * set as a #define for my bmaked stuff or as an entry in @INC for the
>  * diehards.
>
> You mean it's built in when you build /usr/bin/perl5 (and friends)?

Yup.

> What does the user have to do if they want to move ${LOCALBASE}
> elsewhere?

-I<LOCALBASE> in the perl command line or an entry in /etc/make.conf
I suppose.

> Speaking of bsd.port.mk...I was thinking about adding something like
> this (dima committed a very premature version of this):
>
> ===
> .if exists(/usr/bin/perl5)
> .if !exists(/usr/bin/perl${PERL_VERSION}
> "error!  you need to update your system perl or delete it!"
> .else
> PERL5=	/usr/bin/perl${PERL_VERSION}
> .endif
> .else
> PERL5=	${LOCALBASE}/bin/perl${PERL_VERSION}
> .if defined(USE_PERL5)
> BUILD_DEPENDS+=  perl${PERL_VERSION}:${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5
> RUN_DEPENDS+=    perl${PERL_VERSION}:${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5
> .endif
> .endif
> ===
>
> What do you think?  Will it just work (modulo the (1) problem above)
> with this, or do we need something else?

At a first look, this looks OK. I wasn't planning to put in the
version on the /usr/bin/perl5 binary, but it seems like a good
thing, so I'll do it.

> One thing that is *very important* is to absorb all hackery into
> bsd.port.mk so individual ports don't have to be adjusted depending on
> whether the user is running -stable or -current.  (I'd also prefer to
> have it work on users with pre-src-perl5 -current with a new
> bsd.port.mk, thus the above test.)

I'll bear that in mind.

Mark Murray