Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 22:05:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@gromit.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limit access to tty's?

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Paul Dekkers wrote:

> Can I make it so that normal users can't login on real vty's but just on
> an terminal or using an telnet session?
> I don't want them to login on the computer itself... :-)

Some brainstorms:

1.  If you have a keyboard lock switch on your case, use it.  It really
does work under FreeBSD, assuming you've installed it properly. :-)

2.  Take away the keyboards.

3.  Take away the displays and the keyboards.

4.  Disable the vty's in /etc/ttys.  But you won't be able to log in by
the console either once the system finishes booting.  But this is what
serial consoles are for.  :-)

Hope this helps.  Note that once someone gains access to the system case,
then there's always <reset> and boot -s.