Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:30:06 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How To's

[ cc'd to -doc for the archives ]

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 02:25:07PM -0600, Nick Rogness wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > I've posted the URLs to our meta documentation explaining how to write
> > documentation elsewhere in this thread.  Let me know if that's sufficient,
> > and if there's anything else that you guys need to get started.
>
> 	I have a lot of documents that contain Images (Visio diagrams
> 	converted to gif's).  However, in the online Handbook I see no
> 	nice diagrams that are (IMO) useful...with the exceptions of some
> 	ASCII art.  What's the policy on this...???  No pics or what?

Image support in the documentation is something that I'm actively working
on right now.  Basically, use either EPS or PNG as the source format for
your image (depending on whether it's line art or a bitmap), and let the
Makefiles handle converting the images to other formats as necessary.

There's currently no documentation for how you should include images in the
documentation.  That's because I'm still experimenting with the best way to
do it.

However, if you take a look at

    doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/articles/vm-design/article.sgml

you can see how I'm planning on doing it.  There will probably only be small
changes to that mechanism.  The Makefile in that directory should work as
well.  The only caveat is that you need to install the ImageMagick port to
conver the images to the correct format -- ImageMagick is a big port, but it
makes writing the Makefiles easier.  I plan on reducing the port requirements
down to the bare minimum after I've finished this round of development.

Hope that helps.  Any questions, please ask on -doc, so that they (and the
answers) go in to the archives.