Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 22:43:45 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kristian Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Socks5 and ftp

> Phil White:
>  |Anyone have trouble with FTPing from FreeBSD box through proxy and than
>  |trying to do something like "ls" to pull a directory listing?
>  |I get an error something like - "bind: can't assign requested address" and
>  |doesn't return an "ls".

Apologies for not replying to the original message with this, but I
havent checked my mail in a couple of days, so I might as well kill two
birds with one stone and reply to 'em both at once :)

When I first set up my socks proxy (running on a DEC Alpha) and tried to
get my freebsd box talking to it, I recall having the same problem as
you. Unfortunately, I dont recall how I eventually fixed it, though I
suspect it was a config problem with either the libsocks5.conf or the
config file on the proxy. Perhaps if you could post a copy of your config
file along with a description of your network setup I'd be able to see if
there was anything amiss.

> I have Socks4 and Socks5 built on my FreeBSD box and have been using
> proxified clients through our Socks5 (and previously Socks4) firewall
> without any problems.
>
>  |I get the same results with the "fetch" command when trying to fetch ports
>  |using FETCH_CMD="runsocks /usr/bin/fetch" - I think I'll have the same
>  |trouble with cvsup?
>
> I'm curious as to how you're getting runsocks to work since I don't believe
> FreeBSD supports LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_PRELOAD (on BSD a.out).  At least I
> didn't think it did.  I'm not at my FreeBSD box now, or I'd "man ld.so" and
> double check, but I think I looked for this before.  Am I wrong?

I use runsocks to socksify several apps which dont have native SOCKS4/5
support, including tinyfugue, fetch, telnet, ftp and ncftp, all without any
problems. Lynx also works great using the inbuilt socks support, although
I dont think I could get socks native support in tinyfugue working. Most
annoyingly, I still havent been able to get Netscape to work using socks
no matter what I try (socks4/socks5 config files are set up correctly,
and netscape is pointing to the ip address of my proxy..but it seems to
still ignore it and try connecting directly or to a http proxy if I have
one set. But I digress..). Cvsup also works fine using the m3socks
wrapper.

Kris