Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:48:31 -0800
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        spamrefuse@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 8: custom kernel config ends boot at "mountroot>". Plz. help!

Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My system boots fine with the GENERIC kernel on FreeBSD 8.0
> I made a custom kernel, but the boot process then ends with the
> mountroot>
> error and prompt.

One thing to try is entering ? there, to produce a list of
recognized filesystems.  Comparing that list with what you
expected might provide a clue.  Another possibility would
be to compare the dmesg from your kernel with the one from
GENERIC.

> Apparently something is wrong with my kernel config file.
>
> Can somebody check it below and tell me what is wrong with my
> kernel config file? Especially the GEOM_PART_* at the end might
> be the culprit, although this configuration used to work for 7.3.

Supposing the disk is partitioned with GPT (not with MBR/BSD, which
you appear to be excluding) I see nothing blatantly obvious, but
I am far from an expert in such matters.  It might be worthwhile to
check UPDATING to see if anything rings a bell, and/or compare your
config file with the GENERIC one.