Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 12:30:06 -0600
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>, Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop address acquisition, static/dynamic, home/work

On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 09:47:12AM -0700, Bill Trost wrote:
> Chris Shenton writes:
>     I guess I could build a DHCP client for the laptop and set up DHCP
>     at home, but was looking for a simpler solution.
>
> Too bad none of the DHCP clients are willing to use a BOOTP server.  I
> whacked the WIDE one to do that, but it's ugly.

Why?  ISC's dhcp server (it is a port) is happy to do bootp (for those
boxes which do not speak DHCP).  However with DHCP, you can also
configure name service, routers, etc.

I am running the isc dhcp server from the port on one machine on the
home network.  It was easy to configure and works well (about half the
machines on the net rely on it).

It took about an hour to figure out the isc dhcp client config to make
it work everywhere on my 2.2.6 laptop.

My laptop works when I plug it in at home, it works when I plug it in at
the university, it works when I plug it in at any client sites where
they are running DHCP.

Kenneth