Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:23:21 -0700
From:      Jason Scott <freepix@sirius.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI Drive - Device not configured

I have my system setup with two IDE drives, and now two SCSI drives.  The
first SCSI drive works great, but upon adding the second one, and
installing it (from The Complete FreeBSD book) I can access the drive, and
even have a few small sites on it without a problem.  But when I tried to
copy a 2 gigabyte directory to it, I received the following errors, and
then the drive could not be read:
cp: /homes2/ps/data/avs/hotpnl/secret/ppp6/tn_ppp638eb_jpg.jpg: Device not
configured
cp: /homes2/ps/data/avs/hotpnl/secret/ppp6/ppp6.html: Device not configured
cp: /homes2/ps/data/avs/hotpnl/secret/ppp9: Device not configured
The files being copied are on a drive called homes, and this new drive is
called homes2.  I didn't add the drive to the kernel, but I didn't see
anything in the book about doing that, could there be some type of problem
with the drive?  After I reboot the system it needs to be fsck'd to mount
this drive, and the 'messages' file contains this after reboot:

Jul  6 22:16:43 www /kernel: (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): Invalidating pack
Jul  6 22:17:14 www last message repeated 10 times
Jul  6 22:18:04 www last message repeated 15 times

Thanks,
Jason