Date:      Thu, 22 May 1997 18:23:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Randy Katz <randyk@ccsales.com>
To:        Mark J Wheeler <uwheem00@mcl.ucsb.edu>
Cc:        Help? <Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD running CERN

It seems you need to configure nameservice or just put the host and ip
addresses in /etc/hosts and point the Win95 machines in their DNS for
TCP/IP to it as the nameserver.

I've only done this by setting up DNS...see the FAQs it's fun!

Randy Katz

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Mark J Wheeler wrote:

> I'm having a bit of a problem and need some help if possible.
>
> Problem:
> I have an intranet set up with FreeBSD on a 486 pc with a surrounding
> network of Win95 pcs.  I can telnet the server by IP address but not by
> domainname.  I can ping everyone by address but get a bad address when I
> ping to the domain name.  I thought I had everything set up . . .
> In the etc/sysconfig I have hostname="www.c-mode.net" and I have the
> defaultdomainname="c-mode.net".
> I think the networks is fine?
> I think the netstart is fine?
>
> I think everyting else is okay but I run into a wall when I try to get a
> web page by the address of http://www.c-mode.net; http://199.1.1.3 works
> fine but no domain name.  Is this because of the dash in c-mode?
> I am ignorant of a majority of UNIX stuff but seem to have made it this
> far.
> Any help or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
> Sincerely, Mark Wheeler

RAK

Randy A. Katz
Computer Consultation & Sales
505 S. Beverly Drive, Suite 472			       Beverly Hills, CA  90212
(213) 307-9581					       http://www.ccsales.com