Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:48:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limiting icmp unreach response from 231 to 200 packets per second

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Martin McCormick wrote:

> 	On rare occasions, a FreeBSD system in our network has
> been known to print the example shown in the subject at a furious
> rate for a short time and then things get back to normal.
>
> 	Is that what the effects of a ping flood look like?
>
> 	On one system running bind9, the named process died after
> the syslog message said that packets had reached 243 per second,
> but I was able to restart it within seconds of its crash.
> Only the named process crashed, not the system.
>
> 	Any ideas as to what this is?
>
> Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
> OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group

This is not a ping flood, as others have reported.  ICMP unreach packets
are sent in response to incoming UDP packets to a port which has no
service running on it.

Here's what's happening:

1.  BIND crashes.
2.  DNS requests keep coming in, at a rate of 231 per second.
3.  FreeBSD limits the number of icmp unreach responses, and tells you.
4.  You restart BIND, and messages go away.

I can't answer why step #1 occured, but I can assure you that #2 through
#4 are natural results of #1, and are nothing to worry about it.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack