Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:41:59 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux executable picks up FreeBSD library over linux one and breaks

Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org> (from Sun, 02 Dec 2007 =20
13:23:33 -0500):

> You've gotten some good suggestions, but I might add one more, I don't
> think it's been mentioned.  I have foound, myself in the last 2 weeks,
> some FreeBSD ports putting in Linux tools, installing stuff in the
> wrong places, like sticking in SYSV libraries in /usr/local/lib instead
> of /compat/linux/usr/lib.  I verified in that case that the Linux

If they put the libs directly in /usr/local/lib instead of =20
/usr/local/lib/<linux_port_specific_directory>, then it is a big =20
error. But if it is in a subdirectory where no FreeBSD lib resides, it =20
is ok (the linux browser sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the start script to =20
the right path).

Have a look how the native browser works, the private libs are not in =20
ldconfig either and the browser start script sets the library path for =20
the browser binary. At least it did this the last time I checked...

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Ryan's Law:
=09Make three correct guesses consecutively
=09and you will establish yourself as an expert.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137