Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 11:31:43 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        ejs@bfd.com
Cc:        twoods@ccgate.sos.state.il.us, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Net connected printer

    Eric> Oh, and the cards support syslog.  It's loads of fun
    Eric> watching messages pop up in xconsole about a printer 100
    Eric> yards away is jammed/out of paper/door open, etc.

Now THAT'S a nice feature.  At one site we mandated PostScript
printers only because we could get status messages back from the
engine.  And lprps could capture these messages and use syslog to
ship'em out to the interested parties.

It's nice to see net-capable printers getting smarter all the time.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov