Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:25:03 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Muir <mmuir@es.co.nz>
Subject:   Re: Fxtv and XFree86 4.0 Problems

(Fxtv users will hit this problem too when they update to XFree86 4.0 so
I'm Ccing -multimedia.)

Mike Muir:
 |Anyway, just built XFree86 4.0 and noticed that fxtv bombs out with:
 |
 |[rock] [~/incoming/xfree86/source/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/doc] >
 |fxtv
 |Direct Video not supported by visual...using XImages
 |X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private
 |resource denied)
 |  Major opcode of failed request:  141 (MIT-SHM)
 |  Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_ShmAttach)
 |  Serial number of failed request:  1864
 |  Current serial number in output stream:  186
 |
 |Ack!! Not wanting to read into the source tonight, and being one of
 |particularly novice c skills, I decided to email you about it.. I hope
 |its just a quick fix, 4.0 looks really good.

I hit this a while back and haven't had a chance to update fxtv for the
general fix.  Attached is a description of the issue and a work-around
until I get time to update fxtv.

Different from prior XFree86 versions, XFree86 4.0 and beta versions now
support multiple simultaneous X visuals like most commercial X servers (see
'xdpyinfo' output and note how many more visuals you see now).  This means
some apps can run in depth 8, some can run in depth 24, etc. simultaneously
and the conversion to native formats is all managed transparently by the X
server.

For historical reasons, on these X servers the default visual is commonly
defaulted to depth 8 pseudocolor, and XFree86 has followed this convention.
Xt apps (such as Fxtv) wishing to run in a non-default visual (e.g. depth
15, 16, or 24) have to jump through some hoops to do so.  Fxtv is not
jumping through these hoops yet.

WORKAROUND: The workaround is to run your X server such that the default
depth is the one fxtv wants to run in, namely the one with the highest
depth (depth 15, 16, or 24).  You've been doing this up til now, and it's
not going to break anything to keep doing it.

Unless you run xdm, you can tell X to do this like so:

   startx -- -cc 4

If you use XDM, you're going to need to find the right XDM config file to
set the arguments to the X server.  Also, I believe that:

   Visual "TrueColor"

in the new XF86Config is also supposed to work, but at least in 3.9.16 it
didn't.  YMMV.

Also IIRC, you'll need to make sure you're not running 32bpp (or 24bpp with
overlays enabled) because with these modes XFree86 requires that the
default visual be 8bpp!  Don't know how this actually shook out with
XFree86 4.0, but that was the case with 3.9.16.

Sorry this is a bit incomplete.  I haven't had a chance to install XFree86
4.0 yet.  Please post your experience if you find out other helpful tips!

Thanks,

Randall