Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:44:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      "M.C Wong" <mcwong@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PX, -->, TCP/IP, protocol, converter, ?

Hi,

I wonder implementation like BSDI Internet Gateway for permitting
Novel clients which talk IPX/SPX to be able to get access to the
Internet (TCP/IP based) without requiring dual-stack on each client
is considered a protocol converter ? How about Cisco's PIX ?

How does it work in principles on the server side and the client
side ? According to BSDI literatures, there are some clients shipped
together with the Internet Gateway and they are all winsock 1.1
compliant clients. I wonder how can those apps get to talk TCP/IP
with winsock without running TCP/IP stack. Can any expert in this
field please explain ?

If one is to include such features in FreeBSD, where is the right
entry point to start ?

Presumably, there will be a pseduo generic network driver interface
that intercepts all different protocols and depending on whether
protocol conversion (implicitly means from anything else to TCP/IP)
is enabled in the kernel, then an internal table is set up to hold
all such connections which will be encapsulated in an IP packet ?
I am not sure if I am talking the right idea, as we are not looking
at, say, IPX routing with encapsulation in IP packet or are we ?
And how about the requirments on the (IPX) clients applications ?
Is a customized winsock needed ?

Thanks in advance.