Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:53:58 +1000
From:      "Tim J. Robbins" <tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: standards/36783

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:16:45PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> This is no longer true.  Long doubles can and do give better precision
> than doubles, but at a high performance cost.  printf can't print a
> long double more precisely than what double can represent, however,
> since printf casts it to a double first.

This sounds like something that needs to get documented in printf(3), then
eventually fixed (I can't think of an elegant way to fix it right now).

What I'll do is leave the format string the same as for a double, and
make a note explaining that it was working around a printf limitation.
Thanks for the info.

Tim