Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:14:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        chris@bahnhof.se (Christopher Arnold)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, panic@antix.org, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: smp ??

> > > What versions of Freebsd support smp?  A friend of mine, and Freebsd user,
> > > tells me that there is a patch for 2.2.7, but I can't find it anywhere.
> >
> > The initial work on SMP was done by Jack Vogel, of Sun Microsystems,
> > who also did a SPARC port ofr FreeBSD 1.1.5.
>
> Does this mean that we have an FreeBSD 1.1.5 that would boot on sparc?

It means Jack Vogel has a 1.1.5 that would boot on a SPARC.  It was
never committed to the FreeBSD repository, only partly because of
the BSDI troubles that rendered 1.1.5 subject to controversy with
USL.  Part of it was also source tree organization changes that
FreeBSD was unwilling to make at the time, to accommodate multiple
architectures.

> I guess this would contain usefull information about how to bootstrap an
> effort on getting an later version of FreeBSD running on SPARC.

You would be better of starting with NetBSD or OpenBSD at this time;
the source code is closer to FreeBSD.

> Does anyone have more info about the 1.1.5 SPARC port?

You could always contact Jack directly.  His email address is in the
-hackers list archives; all you have to do is search for it.  I
expect that after the loaner SMP box that he had used for development
was "repossesed", he gained a dislike for the FreeBSD community.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.