Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 13:36:52 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        mmead@Glock.COM, andrew@io.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMC EtherEZ 8416

>> > Thats ok, this card has the same problem with bsdi 2.0.1 and 2.0.  It's a
>> > crappy card.
>>
>> > Use the SMC Ultra 16 instead
>>
>>	Ack!  What happened to SMC making great cards?  *sigh*  I was told
>>SMC no longer made the Ultras and Elite Ultras.  David, do you know if
>>there's much chance of getting this card working soon?
>
>   The EtherEZ *should* work. It was working for some people...I have one here
>and I'll try to test it out soon. In the mean time, I'd try changing the
>shared memory address to something different and possible look at your ISA bus
>timing and make sure it isn't too fast.

I have one here that works OK (tested with 2.0.5 and 2.1).  It'd be nice
though if the PnP settings could be read by the driver.  The only problem
I've found is that disabling PnP with the DOS utility that comes with
the card doesn't seem to work properly.  This might be a problem with the
PnP code in the BIOS on the ASUS boards I've tried it in though (one
was a recent P/I-P55TP4XE).

David