Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 19:02:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=DEor=F0ur?= Ivarsson <totii@est.is>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 7400 gates effected by probe routine

There was one other thing with this board that I have thought about
repeatedly. It has a jumper for tristated outputs, which would allow safe
probing. However the way the tristate system works, it is either enabled
or disabled for all outputs so when changing the mode of a port the
outputs momentarily toggle to high impedance inputs, which defeats the
purpose of having seperately controllable /dev/dio0? nodes.
All in all I think it is just bad board design, nonetheless I think that
anyone using one of these probably knows how it is set and doesn't need a
probing routine. In other words the damn tristate bit shouldn't of been
mapped over