Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:53:10 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Dave <dave@gregory.dyn.ml.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gartner group article

Dave wrote:

> Forgive me if this has been discussed- I've been out of the
> mix for a bit. Just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on
> the gartner group article linked from the FreeBSD website.
> (This seems worthy of a 'chat'.)
> I refer specifically to
> http://advisor.gartner.com/inbox/articles/ihl2_6398.html
>
> I find the reference to lack of performance tuning and focus on NT
> most disturbing, but I hardly consider myself enough of an IT veteran
> to draw any real conclusions from this article.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

In the context of the original article, they may be right.  While the
development of SMP support in -current has been herculean, I doubt
that even our intrepid -core members will have the time or machine
resources to tune FreeBSD-SMP for machines with 64, 128, or 256
processors.  If you could buy such a machine.  ;^)

Their conclusions about NT in this arena are colored a bit by
Microsoft marketing hype.  The 'trade press' seems far too willing
to believe Microsoft has tamed the 'thousand monkeys' approach to
developing large software projects.  In fact, I'll go so far as
to coin "Wes Peters corollary to Brooks Law:"

"Adding thousands of programmers to a slow program makes it slower."