Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 21:30:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to avoid: socket: No buffer space available?

I've been testing postfix on freebsd 4.1 and specifically testing the
speed that it can send and receive SMTP messages without using the
disk.  This effectively tests the tcp/ip speed.  Postfix comes with a
couple of binaries which allow you to stress test the system.

# setup SMTP server on port 5000, with a listen queue of 10
[sjmudd@unicorn smtpstone]$ ./smtp-sink :5000 10 &
[1] 37958
# setup up to 10 simultaneas connections to send 1000 messages of
# 1000 bytes each
[sjmudd@unicorn smtpstone]$ ./smtp-source -s 10 -l 1000 -m 1000 localhost:5000
./smtp-source: fatal: socket: No buffer space available
./smtp-sink: warning: lost connection
./smtp-sink: warning: lost connection
./smtp-sink: warning: lost connection
./smtp-sink: warning: lost connection
[sjmudd@unicorn smtpstone]$ ./smtp-sink: warning: lost connection

When I do this test on linux I don't get this error, nor do I get it if I
reduce the number of messages on FreeBSD.  How do I adjust the buffer
space to avoid this problem and is there a reason that linux behaves
differently to FreeBSD? (I'm curious.)

Thanks and regards,

Simon
--