Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 02:03:55 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        Nielsen <nielsen@memberwebs.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (jail) problem and a (possible) solution ?

* Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com> [020622 01:56] wrote:

> What it does is the userland hangs, but the kernel keeps running.

> I'm mostly just curious if this kind of crash (userland hung but kernel
> running) is a possible outcome of someone in a jail fiddling with those
> /dev nodes, or if fiddling with dev/mem or /dev/kmem or io would just lock
> the machine up hard and completely.
>
> Terry?

This typically means some sort of deadlock has happened, if possible
getting a crash dump (this is detailed in the handbook i think)
would help.

The reason why it seems like apps are responding is because the
kernel is only processing interrupts, something has hung the scheduler
or deadlocked the kernel somehow... FYI, the kernel is not running
except when interrupted by a device.

-Alfred