Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2010 12:35:46 GMT
From:      Hartmann@FreeBSD.org, "O." <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/153120: x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati: Xserver/xdm crashes and freezing box

>Number:         153120
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati: Xserver/xdm crashes and freezing box
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Using several AMD HD4000 graphics cards (based on RV700 GPU) with FreeBSD 8.1/amd64, FreeBSD 8.2/amd64 and FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT/amd64 results in very inconvenient behaviour of the X11 system. Tested graphics cards are HD4670, HD4770 and HD4830. On all graphics cards, a FreeBSD box used with X11, xdm for login and xf86-video-ati, xf86-video-radeonhd or xf86-video-radeonhd-devel results in a completely locked up box with black screen when leaving any kind of window manager to get to the logon screen, sending a 'kill -1 1' or sending killall -HUP to either xdm or the Xserver itself.

On boxes using HD4670 or HD4770 graphics cards, it is impossible to use 'hald' and 'dbus' as introduced with the most recent update of the X11 system. When enabling both or only dbus, the box gets also immediately locked up when starting the X11 system. On HD4670 and HD4770, enabling DRI also fails immediately with a completely locked up box with black screen.

Enabling DRI on HD4830 cards AND using 'hald' and 'dbus' enabled as recommended doesn't affect the box while starting or enabling logins, but it is impossible to logout cleanly without xlock the screen or rebooting. Otherwise the box is forzen with black screen forever.

I'm fighting this problem since for over a year now with several new boxes set up and this very serious problem seems to persist still with FreeBSD 9.0 in the same way as reported for 8.1 and 8.2 (all amd64).

I can't identify the problem myself, since even a well prepared kernel for debugging does not show anything but a black screen and when those freezings occur I never watch any logs in the appropriate log files. Also very curious is the behaviour of the 'smaller' HD4000 graphics cards in conjunction with HAL and DBUS - they are unusable and leaves me with a more oldish /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Even 'DRI' enabled doen't work, a crash is guaranteed. On the more expensive HD4830 HAL and DBUS as well as DRI enabled work well, but leaving a session immediately kills the system.

>How-To-Repeat:
Use FreeBSD 8.1/8.2 and 9.0 (all amd64), use graphics cards from AMD/ATi, modells HD4670, HD4770 and HD4830, install X11 system, use login via xdm, leave your window session or simply issue the command 'kill -1 1' to send a HUP signal to the tty and restarting the xdm/Xserver session - it will end up in a locked/frozen/inresponsible box.

Additionaly with HD4670 and HD4770 cards, you can try enabling DBUS and HAL and/or DRI. HAL/DBUS enabled results in a lock, no matter whether DRI is set enabled or not. Without HAL/DBUS only configurations without DRI result in success, but leaving/resetting the session also reults in an inresponsive system.