Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 1999 03:26:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        Gregory Lewis <glewis@dartagnan.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, (Jason L. Schwab) <jschwab@royal.net>
Subject:   Re: ATAPI cdr's

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (actually, it was on 02-Jun-99),
the great prophet Gregory Lewis once wrote:
>> Does freebsd support atapi cdr's? I have mkisofs and cdrecord all
>> installed and stuff but i can't figure out how to use it with my
>> ATAPI cdr...
>
> ATAPI writers aren't supported via the cdrecord port at present, only
> SCSI.
> People have, however, reported success using the scripts in
> /usr/share/examples/atapi/ with their ATAPI writers.  You might want to
> check out those scripts and man pages for the appropriate programs.  I
> believe the correct device to use with the scripts is acd0c, e.g. you
> should do "burndata acd0c iso9660.image" (where iso9660.image is
> replaced
> by the name of the image you want to burn).
>
> I'll probably be trying this myself in a couple of days when I get time
> to go buy some blanks :).

That's correct.  This works fine for me with both an HP 8210i and a cheap
JVC clone, RW2224.

Also, if you wish to use CD-R/CD-RW, It is suggested that you upgrade to
3.2-RELEASE.  3.1 and previous use the "rezero" ATAPI command, which some
drives do not support; if your drive does not support it, it causes the
writing process to halt, resulting in a ruined disc.  3.2 corrects this
problem by only using the rezero command if it is supported by the
particular drive.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>                           | PGP: Your
*NEW* WWW HomePage: http://more.at/dburr/ ICQ #16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.