Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 07:24:23 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Spam decisions

Thus spake Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>:
> Mmm..I finally put a blacklist entry on all domains ending in ".tw".
> This is something I swore off doing, but for months now I have been
> generating unknown user messages for mail from .tw registered domains.
>
> So I have decided to REJECT at receipt all messages in said domains.
> So any genuine FreebSD users in Taiwan (for so I take .tw to be) ...
> sorry.

At one point I determined that four countries with lax regulations
were responsible for somewhere near 70% of my SPAM[1].  (The number
may have been higher; I don't remember.)  Since I don't know
anyone in those countries, I ended up doing pretty much the same
thing, but based on Received: headers rather than originating
host.

Actually, I find it too draconian to reject such mail using a
fallable heuristic, so I file it into a bit bucket that I empty
with great zeal about once a month.  It would suck to live in one
of those countries and get blacklisted as a result of the
irresponsibility of others, so at least I can guarantee that I'll
get the mail eventually and remove the blacklist entry if I ever
get a false positive.  (I've seen none so far.)

I was going to switch to SpamAssassin, but recently one of the
mail servers I have an account on started running SpamAssassin and
adding huge X-Spam-Report: headers to incoming mail.  Up until
then, I was given to believe that the software was better at
avoiding false positives.  When one of those ``your order has
shipped'' messages got a score of 4.70 for annoying HTML crap, it
made me a bit nervous.  Moreover, it seems like the only SPAM it
can reliably detect is the kind that takes me a sixteenth of a
second to delete.

[1] The US was actually the third-worst offender, IIRC, but I couldn't
    blacklist it and still expect to accept all legitimate mail.  ;-)