Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:40:02 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Cc:        Larry Baird <lab@gta.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the fla driver definitely has bugs ...

In message <3AE75F24.564CC9D4@aurora.regenstrief.org>, Gunther Schadow writes:

>I'm sorry but I can't confirm that. I have nothing but trouble
>with the fla device with all 5 boxes that I'm trying to configure.
>So, I know I don't just have a foul chip.
>
>- "stray irq 7" is something that should not ever happen in a clean
>  kernel certainly not when mounting or otherwise accessing a flash
>  disk device.

The DoC has no interrupt line, so all operations to it are polled.
This basically makes the rest of the system suffer while you
access the DoC.

>- There is so much magic involved that I don't even dare to create
>  a fresh flash filesystem. I have one image that appears to work
>  and I use that as a template just writing different kernels and
>  configs to it.

You need to respect the 1024 cylinder thing on all disks.  This
is more of an issue with devices as small as the DoC.

I have a contract right now to update the DoC driver to the
OSAK-4.1 kit from M-sys, which should amongst other things make
it possible to run on the 288MB devices, but I don't have an
actual release-note which can tell me if any bugs are fixed.

If any of you want to help test the new version: send me email.