Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 09:59:10 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: group assignments from make world.

[Redirected to -chat; we've left the charter of -hackers now]

> This I do not understand.  One of the major reasons for working on a
> project like this, in a professional (vs. hobby, serious as it may be)
> capacity, is the open access to the development crew.

Which, like all limited resources, must be used wisely, that's all I'm
trying to tell you.  If you get people to sign up with a "you're on
your own with this!" disclaimer, it achieves several important aims:

	1. It weeds out those who are truly not *ready* for this
	   challenge and should stick to the major releases (which
	   the developers do indeed do their best to support) until
	   they're more confident in their abilities and have learned
	   more about the various project infrastructure features
	   (like the mailing list search too).

	2. It makes those who do commit to this realize that they're
	   essentially skiing off the trails and if they do something
	   foolish, the ski patrol will be by to rescue them only by
	   chance or exceptional charity.  Knowing this tends to make
	   one a bit more careful, and that's a good thing.  It also
	   gives us the option of leaving you to die in the snow if we
	   really just don't feel like leaving the ski lodge that
	   evening. ;-)

	3. Knowing that rescue opportunities are limited and that the
	   territory is dangerous, the wise user will invest just a
	   bit more time in mastering his (or her) equipment and
	   reading up on the subject.  If anything can motivate our
	   users to read the docs at all, perhaps it's this. ;)

So there's more to this mindset than just trying to deflect too many
questions from the electronic equivalent of several thousand people
looking over one's shoulder, people also need to go into something
like -stable or -current with their eyes fully open, and "yer on yer
own, kid." appears to be a time-tested eye-opener. ;)

The reality is also that many developers still *do* help anyone with a
legitimate question, often devoting many hours to this (like Joerg,
our one-man USENET tech support team, or Doug White, our one-man
freebsd-questions tech support team!), but it needs to be seen by the
users as the charitable donation that it is and no guarantee of any
further such support in the future - it's purely take it as you go*.

					Jordan

* Like life. :)