Date:      06 May 2002 17:38:30 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        User Witr <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, "Frank ." <dimspyder@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Galeon 1.2.1 problems

--=-KBfzEzbUlTS2pPyTFwS+

On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 18:08, User Witr wrote:
>=20
> sobomax@FreeBSD.org said:
> :-How much memory do you have? It is not recommended (and mostly
> :-impossible) to use galeon/mozilla on a machine with less than 64MB of
> :-RAM.
>=20
> bash-2.05a$ dmesg | grep 'real mem'
> real memory  =3D 268369920 (262080K bytes)
>=20
> To sum up the sitiution:
>=20
>   * Linux-netscape 4.79 brings up my.yahoo.com in a fraction of a second.
>=20
>   * Galeon on the same system takes minutes.
>=20
>   * Mozilla acts the same as Galeon.  (Just now it took 154.781 seconds.)
>=20
>   * This isn't a networking issue.  I do these tests at the same time, mu=
ltiple
>     times.
>=20
>   * I'm building with WITH_FULL_MOZILLA=3Dyes.  I've pkg_deinstall'ed
>     mozilla-embedded.  That is the only special option I use.  I have a p=
retty
>     vanilla make.conf.  I don't specify any optimizer options.  I use
>     port_install to install galeon.
>=20
>   * I'm using XFREE86_VERSION=3D4.
>=20
>   * Mozilla and galeon *both* successfully store and recall persistent co=
okies,
>     so that is no longer a problem.
>=20
> Anything else I can try?

Did you mention what locale you're using?  I recently committed some
I18N patches that may help speed things up for people not using a US
locale.  If you're not using a US locale, update to the latest gettext,
libiconv, and gnomevfs.  If that still doesn't work, send me your
locale, and I'll try and reproduce the problem.

Joe

>=20
> Thanks!
>=20