Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:18:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        imp@village.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make -k oddities

>  * make -k means "ignore error return from command" but bsd.port.mk uses the
>  * error return to bail out at that point.
>
> That's not the problem.  The real problem is that "make -k" always
> returns 0.  By changing the way chaining is done (see attached patch)
> some cases can be caught (like fetch) but not all because bsd.port.mk
> often calles sub-makes as a shell command to do certain things (try to
> read _PORT_USE if you have a strong stomach).
>
> Do people think "make -k" always returning 0 is correct?  I tend to
> think it's a bug, and it should return the status of the last command
> executed.  Otherwise it is useless for chaining calls of make.
>
> Satoshi

Fundamental command paradigm

user: do this
unix: (ok)

:) silence is golden :)

Successfully completing the command hardly counts as an error.
This is similar to rm -f.

If make -k returns the command status of the most recent command, there is
no guarantee that it will have been the failed command. If you would let
make -k return 1 to signify any failed command or 2 for abnormal condition,
there is no indication of which command(s) failed, if that matters.

Would you also let -command pass an error when make exits? (why, why not?)

Adam