Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:28:46 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup'ing repo & cvs-checkout'ing sources makes cvs complain...

Dear Salvo,

Maybe I do not know your problem exactly but I am trying to find out...

I think that what you saw at first try was related to the fact that the
source tree you tried to upgrade did not have CVS directories in each
directory. These directories are needed for proper CVS operation. If you cd
to any dir that you have rm -f-ed and checked out again, you will find a
CVS subdir in each. If you like you can look at what is in those dirs, in
short CVS keeps book about what files have been co-d from the repo, at what
time etc so that it knows what files to update and leaves the rest alone.
Also, it uses this info to decide which files have changed when you want to
commit. So if you want to place a directory under CVS control, you must
first rm -rf it and then check it out again.

As for your second question: CVS does not normally delete files that you no
longer need but only displays warnings about them. You can remove those
files now. Cvsup in contrast also removes the files if you tell it so.

A useful option to use when doing CVS updates is -P it will delete empty
directories in the tree. But even that will not delete files. Also you can
try to use -d which will create directories upon checkout if needed. Also,
if you want the HEAD branch, you can just say: -A and it will do instead of
-r HEAD.

Good luck and I hope this was of some help.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University