Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 01:29:03 GMT
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD SCSI list)
Cc:        chris@bb.cc.wa.us (Chris Coleman)
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup Drive Not working.

> Hmm.  I wonder if there's any reason to _not_ set the PF bit by
> default?

Well, as you say, all SCSI-2 devices should be happy with it.  On the
other hand, I regard it as a bug that the HP T4000s complains if it's
not set, since there are no parameters being passed that it affects.
Why should it care about the format of zero bytes of data?

I conjecture that Linux sets it by default, since I have heard that
the HP drive worked with Linux without change.

> I'd vote that,
> if we need it at all, we should unset the bit based on some drive's
> quirks, but turn it on by default (in the assumption that most drives
> adhere to SCSI-2).

I agree.

-- Richard