Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:35:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brian Martinez <marti259@pilot.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Maxtor H.D.

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Brian Martinez wrote:

> Hey, I just got a new 13.6GB Hard Drive and I wanna install a few OS's
> on it, FreeBSD being one of them.  I was just wondering (since I can't
> seem to find any concrete answers anywhere) if FreeBSD would run on such
> a large drive?  The drive says it needs Win95 to boot, and Win95 was
> going to be one of the OS's on it, but should I get System Commander as
> well to help manage, if FreeBSD, Linux, and Win95 can't run on a drive
> such as this??

13GB?  Yow!

The drive manual says it *requires* Windows?  Are you sure?

I think FreeBSD would have trouble figuring this thing out since there is
a 8GB limit floating around in the IDE code somewhere. I'm not sure if it
was fixed for 2.2.7 or not.

There is a bug in SysCommander that tweaks the system type in the
partition table in a way that ticks the bootblocks off.  I think you can
disable it from the ALT-F10 setup menu in it.