Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 98 14:03:00 PST
From:      Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: WebAdmin (was: RE: /usr/src/release/sysinstall needs YOU. :-))

Karl writes:
>Hmmm...
>
> I don't often throw my 2 pennies worth in, but here goes...
>
> The company where I'm working now have several FreeBSD machines, and 1
> competent BSD 'maintainer' (guess who?).

OK.  Time for a roll call.  How many other people resemble this
description?  :-)  :-)

If I haven't said it before, I'd like to thank all of the hackers that
came before
me that worked on FreeBSD.  My life would be an NT Admin Hell otherwise.

>[karl's admind]
>
> A lot of this is based on SMTP / POP3 conversation style stuff, e.g.
you might
> send a command to that port to 'ADDUSER "username", "password",
"group",
> "homedir", "shell"' etc. - the box then goes off and does this - tells
you
> whether it could or couldn't etc, likewise a 'LISTSMTPVIRTUALDOMAIN'
command
> will return a nice list of all the SMTP Virtual domains the server
supports,
> which again can be read and displayed by the client...
>
> I know this solution isn't perfect, but it's not doing too bad so
far... We
> have Win 32 clients (written in VB) which connect to it at the moment,
though
> there's no reason why these couldn't be Java clients.
>
> The client is 'dumb', all it has to do is prompt for the right
information -
> make sure it's sensible - then submit it to the server to have it
carried out.
> Any errors are returned as text, or error codes - which the client can
display
> to the user.
>
> Right - that's the 'rough' outline, please flame away...

Seems reasonable.  I'm a bit of a protocol bigot, though.  With so many
standards out there, why create a new one?

Hesitance towards a CGI based approach, even if it's running
on an obscure SSL port is well founded.  I agree that it's senseless
to do something that's not open and extensible.  Just because
I happen to have an anti-Java bias doesn't mean that there are
sufficiently many hackers out there who want to make java
admin clients or whatever.

CGI is just a simple matter of programming.  How about using
a framework that can use CGI but can also run standalone or off
of an admind interface to the same scripts?  It's all about sending
the correct name/value pairs to the correct script and waiting for
your box to automagically reconfigure itself.

Sound reasonable?  Lynx/Netscape/Daemonscape can use
it if you're so inclined to run a httpd-type interface, and some
sort of perl/tcl/python/java/vb standalone client or admind client
should hit everyone's wishlist.

Now it comes down to a simple matter of programming in
everyone's copious free time....

 -- Adam.