Date:      Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:15:51 -0600
From:      William Michael Grim <wgrim@siue.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4BSD Scheduler Problem on 5.3

I'm not sure if it's before or after your changes, Poul-Henning.  If there is
a newer -RELEASE I can upgrade too, I will do that.  I don't really want to
upgrade to -STABLE, but I will also do that to relieve the issue if necessary.
Just give me a recommendation on to either update RELEASE beyond -p1 or to
go ahead and update to -STABLE.

I appreciate the help all of you have been.

Thanks much.

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 08:52:38PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <200504011120.27285.jhb@FreeBSD.org>, John Baldwin writes:
>
> >> I think we have a race in -STABLE relating to tty wakeups and
> >> open/close/device teardown.  I've seen a panic relating to sio during a
> >> tty close on RELENG_5 about 5-6 months ago, but was unable to get a dump.
> >> Scott has since fixed dumps with twe, but I've not yet been able to get
> >> the bug to recur.  I'll give it another try.
> >
> >Sounds very plausible.  Does Poul-Henning have any ideas?
>
> Is this before or after my tty changes ?
>
> There is a general nastyness about ttys/sessions/exit which I have
> never really felt comfortable about.  My hope is that I have solved
> it by refcounting the tty structure.
>
> So if this is before my changes:  "Yeah, known (but rare) issue)"
>
> If after my changes: "D**N!"
>
> --

William Michael Grim
Student, Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
Unix Network Administrator, SIUE, Computer Science dept.
Phone: (217) 341-6552
Email: wgrim@siue.edu