Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 00:39:42 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple instances of the same character device

> The question is very simple. Is it possible to open the same character
> pseudo device, for example /dev/foo0, simultaneously from other programs, and
> to work with this instances independently?

Not in the fashion that I believe you're trying to do, no.

> I'm asked as the developer of a driver with such requirements, so please
> don't complain about such technique.

I think I'm going to complain anyway; this is an _extremely_ lame way to
do things, and it breaks many assumptions about how files are meant to
work.

In your case, however, you can probably steal the 'emuldata' field in the
proc structure to store a pointer to your per-instance data.  At some
stage, the Linux emulator will want to use this as well, and it will need
to provide an API for multiple emulator plugins to use.

By then I hope that we'll have convinced the VMware folks to do things
properly, or have our own binary version...