Date:      Mon, 03 Sep 2001 11:58:19 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        ikob@koganei.wide.ad.jp
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewire driver available

Katsushi Kobayashi wrote:

> I have uploaded the updated driver at:
>
> ftp://ftp.uec.ac.jp/pub/firewire/beta/firewire-bsd-5.0-20010903
>
> Note that this driver is an as-is basis code, so there is no document for
> users. Although the kernel patch includes a  file name as "sbp.c", this
> code does not support any firewire disk devices. This code is only a
> sample for "firewire" bus. Also, this driver only support OHCI1394
> compliant chipset, since I think 1394 I/F card are being converged to
> OHCI series, and it is not easy to get other chipset cards.
>
> Anyway, I would like to know whether my implementation direction
> would be acceptable for FreeBSD folks or Not.

I have not read too much yet, but it looks well written..

The driver could do with comments. People do not know the firewire
spec off by heart so descriptions as to what and why it is doing things,
and what the modes mean might make it easier to review the driver.

I'm tempted to add a netgraph interface to it :-)