Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:37:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, George Michaelson <ggm@connect.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE vs SCSI was: flags 80ff works (like anybody doubted it)

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Atipa wrote:

> The main advantage with SCSI is the speed of the drive; not the
> interface. Typically SCSI drives are 5400RPM at worst, and IDEs are
> 5400RPM at best. I do not see IDE drives getting those 7-8ms seek times
> either. Good seeks for IDE are 10ms, roughly 30% slower than SCSI.

Not to me.  The main advantage is being able to hook up a cd-rom or
other _non_ hard drive device easily, without having to worry if the atapi
support on the particular os is good enough, or the ability to do external
drives (IDE can't really).  Parity checking is another plus, SCSI is also
good for big drives.  Performance is just an added bonus as far as I'm
concerned.

> Due to the lower rotational speed, IDE drives are actually more reliable
> in my experience. You'd be surprised how long an engine lasts when it
> never exceeds 55 miles per hour!

What fun ;P But I think (don't know) that most scsi drives are probably
built better, just a wild guess.

> I would not recommend a Cheetah for any mission critical machine. It
> produces so much heat that the system in general is jeopardized. Looking
> at all the last second "wire jumpers"  on the PCB does not make me any
> more comfortable with the design. I'd wait for the next wave of 10,000RPM
> drives to hit the market.

So stick it in an external case with it's own ps and fan.  Not too hard,
nor too expensive if it's totally mission critical, or just a crappy
(read puny sized) computer.

- alex