Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:59:08 +0100
From:      "Kevin Quinlan (UK)" <KevinQ@ctxuk.citrix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel crashes using FreeBSD 3.1

Hi,

I have a machine, a totally standard Dell Poweredge 2200 on which I am
running FreeBSD 3.1 RELEASE.

When I run cvsup, the kernel crashes with a trap 12.

Now I see from the various mailing list archives that a number of people
have reported similar problems, but I have not seen any mention of a fix.

One problem that I have of course, is that I am not getting updated source
files, as it is cvsup that is crashing.

I would surmise that there is a malloc probem in cvsup, when trussing the
process I get a lot of
"truss in free(): warning: page is already free." but I would not expect
this to crash the kernel.

I can reproduce the problem on a generic kernel.

But my questions are these:

Are there any identifiable kernel fixes for this type of problem that I can
apply? Or do I have to upgrade to 3.2?

I  should explain that it is only cvsup so far that tickles this bug, but
this is only 1 of a number of machines I am building, and although the
others are stable so far, so was this one before I started running cvsup, so
upgrading with so much work in progress is not quite a painless option.
There was one suggestion in the mailing list to sidegrade to 2.2.8.
Unfortunately this is an unsatisfactory solution in this case, as I need
some features of the 3,x system on the other machines.

I can supply stack pointer and crash information if required, but it seems
that the problem has been seen on a number of occasions, although not
particularly with cvsup as far as I can tell.

Any information appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin Quinlan