Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:20:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk, jkh@time.cdrom.com, fullermd@futuresouth.com, pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new user interface to FreeBSD administration

> > What do you mean Jordan? A windows style registry? LDAP?
>
> Why do people insist on calling it "windows style"?  We *definitely*
> need to dig up old Apollo machines and hand them around; preferably
> bouncing them off peoples' toes as we do.

Heh.  Actually, I almost have code for reading and writing the
Windows 95 registry under FreeBSD.  I decided to do it after
someone who didn't know what they were talking about told me it
wasn't possible.  I figured it's be useful for Windows 95 emulation
anyway, so I figured "what the heck?".

So if you *really* want a "Windows style Registry"...

> If you want to play more with LDAP, Netscape have released their client
> API sources under the NPL; see http://www.mozilla.org.  It builds
> shiny-clean under FreeBSD (which is a supported platform); this in
> conjunction with the UMich server gives us lots of infrastructure.

So do the UMich API's, and the JavaSoft JNDI API's.

> If you're looking for a topic worth some serious discussion and perhaps
> debate, how about considering a naming scheme suitable for storing
> parametric attributes including, but not limited to:
>
>  - system configuration data, both per-system and per-system-group (eg.
>    netgroup)
>  - application configuration, where the identifying tokens may include
>    user, user-group, application, application-group, system,
>    system-group.
>  - user parametric information, per-user and per-user-group.
>
> Note that there are probably already RFCs covering some or all of these
> topics, with their own pros and cons.  I'm inclined to hand the torch
> to Terry here, as this is more his domain than mine.

Heh.

Yes, there are RFC's that cover all of this.  Specifically, the RFC's
covering SNMP have established an IANA registry for schema information.
Pretty much anything you'd ever want to store in the way of system
configuration information has been spec'ed out already, and has a
published standard.

If nothing else, it would be truly worthwhile to sit down with the
schema information from Cisco, Ascend, Livingston, and others, and
just go through FreeBSD to see if it can do everything and keeps all
the relevent statistics, etc., that the schema's claim the other
boxes can do.  It would be a heck of an easy process, and it would
yield a list of places in FreeBSD where statistics should be kept
and aren't being kept, as well as more than a handful of new features
that probably wouldn't be that hard to implement.  8-).

If you want my interpretation of Netscape's schema, I can send you
my netscape.at.conf and netscape.oc.conf.

I also have oc's for:

	RFC 2248: Network Services Monitoring MIB
	RFC 2307: An Approach for Using LDAP as a Network Information Service
	RFC 2256: A Summary of the X.500(96) User Schema for use with LDAPv3
	RFC 1838: Using X.500 for mapping Internet mail
	RFC 2249: Mail Monitoring MIB

Which taken together cover most of the stuff in /etc.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.