Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 14:48:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Hamilton <matt@boris.clintondale.com>
Subject:   Re: Additional pop accounts - how?

> If you want POP e-mail only accounts it's a bit trickier in that
> you do the above but must set filters on there PPP connection allowing
> only UDP,POP,DNS packets.

I have set up something similar in that we have a setup with an X.25 line
connected to a Cisco 2501 and have people all over the world dial in to a
local SprintNet number to connect to us.  At a rate of $30/hour we don't
want people to wander around the web all day (this is a private system
that the company pays for not a commercial ISP).
I have given people Eudora and set up a dial-up script to connect to our
Cisco as a X.25 PAD ---> telnet connection and telnet from the cisco
directly into port 25 or 110 of our mail machine.

This has several advantages.

1) I can restrict access to our subnet only
2) Eudora hangs up the phone line after it's done (always)
3) I don't have to administer, install and troubleshoot TCP/IP on users
   computers

The only disadvantages are the change password feature of Eudora doesn't
work and they can't use the Eudora ph or finger tools. Which is a shame as
I am trying to set up the company phonebook on something with ph/qi

-Matt