Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:15:08 +1000
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
To:        grog@FreeBSD.org (Greg 'groggy' Lehey)
Cc:        darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gdb doesn't work over NFS ?

In some email I received from Greg 'groggy' Lehey, sie wrote:
> On Friday, 26 April 2002 at 20:44:21 +1000, Darren Reed wrote:

> >> No, I can't explain this, but I'd guess that you're looking in the
> >> wrong place.  It works fine here:
> > [...]
> >
> > I only have this problem with gdb over NFS when using FreeBSD.
> >
> > Would you like me to list the other platforms where it works ?
>
> Well, in this case it works for me under FreeBSD, but I'd guess it
> works under NetBSD, OpenBSD and Linux.  I tested this under one of my
> current FreeBSD machines, but I've been running gdb over nfs for
> years.  I don't think it's release dependent.

I've been running gdb over NFS for years, too and it has always worked for
me - except recently under FreeBSD.  The above test works for me under:

IRIX, Solaris, SunOS, NetBSD, OpenBSD, HP-UX, BSD/OS

and

FreeBSD 2.2.8, 3.3

(I could list the OS revisions where not listed but I think you get the
 general idea here...)

> > Well, there is one platform which I will comment on it working (without
> > being asked) and that is FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE (the 3.4 CD I have will not
> > boot under vmware as either a CD or ISO file for the device :-/).
> >
> > Should I test other 4.x's ?
>
> Well, I suppose the party line is "3.3 isn't supported".  And I don't
> intend to reinstall 3.3 to prove that it works there.  But since you
> mention vmware, maybe we have other things in the equation.  Have you
> tried this with a native install?

That FreeBSD 3.3 install is running vmware, using the same IP# as the one
running 4.5, talking to the same NFS server with the same MAC address.

Now, are you going to tell me it is still not a problem with FreeBSD 4.x ?

I've got CD's for FreeBSD 2.2.6, 3.2, 2.1.5, 4.4, 2.1, 3.1, 4.3 & 4.2.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it didn't work under 4.4 either.  Do you have
any preferences on where I should start further testing ?  I am going to
work through them like this: 4.4, 4.3, 4.2.  Mind you, I am not expecting
any of these three to work.  I could try other FreeNSD 2.* and 3.* but I
have a strong suspicion they are also going to work.  I'm also pretty
damned sure it didn't work when I was using 4.4 on a dedicated box.

In short: appears to work on any unsupported version of FreeBSD (yippee!)
but doesn't work on the supported version (booo).

I think I'll file a PR about this anyway.

Darren