Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:34:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape Drives...

As J Wunsch wrote...
> As Don Lewis wrote:
>
> > Our old Exabytes didn't last all that long, either, as I recall.
>
> Neither did ours, btw.  Most of them fell into the habit of never
> wanting to give you your tape back some day.

Exabytes (primarily the earlier ones) are consumer-electronics based cr*

> > When used for daily backups, my experience is that QIC-150 drives
> > don't last too long, and that's backup up a lot less data that I
> > have been archiving with DAT.
>
> Hmm, what kind of QIC-150 drives?  The old Wangteks are built very
> cheaply.  OTOH, i didn't have any bad experience (so far) with
> Tandberg QIC drives, and there are some three drives (TDC 4222, 2.5 GB
> + compression) around me doing nightly backups for years now.  QIC

Tandberg are really good drives. I used the 525 Mb variant succesfully
and now I also own a 4200. Don't use it often, I like my DLT for doing
the regular backups. Archive drives are also reasonable, but not as
good as Tandberg. Archive is a bit like Exabyte: use the firmware of the
day.

> media have a good lifetime (unlike DAT), and it's not a problem to use
> the very same tape every night for a year or more.  (Two of the three
> drives are used in an operatorless environment where it's simply
> impossible to change the medium on something like a daily or weekly
> basis.  So far, in one of those machines, the backup has already saved
> our butt for two dead disks.)

Hmmm. You better do a couple of retension wind/rewinds every now and
then. Really helps to keep QIC cartridges happy.

> >  I've also had problems with media
> > interchange between QIC drives.
>
> Sounds like you've got a broken or worn-out drive.  I've never
> experienced this, and my drive can still read any QIC cartridge
> around, with some of them being almost ten years old now.

Same here. Dirty head maybe? If the head develops a 'canyon'
it is time to say goodbye to the drive.

> > We're switching over to DLT for backups here at work, but the drive
> > and media are really too pricey for home use, and I don't need that
> > much capacity.
>
> Just to clarify: i think about the same, and we also use DLT at work.
>
> > 	+ Media cost
> >
> > I'd guess that 8mm and DAT come in first and second here.
>
> Hmm, not if you consider the short lifetime of a DAT cassette.  OTOH,
> i've got a pile of QIC-150 cartridges on a shelf stemming from
> software vendors like you mentioned, so they are for free, and they
> still serve well enough for small quantities of data.  The TDC 4222 is
> probably about 5 years old now, and so far i haven't needed more than
> 10 of the higher-density (and more expensive) cartridges.

Wilko