Date:      Sat, 18 May 1996 09:24:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@simplex.nl>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: internal compiler error

>> On Fri, 17 May 1996 13:04:38 -0700 (MST) you wrote:

  NW> #cheap shot on#
  NW> This is one of the reasons why we stick w/older versions of GCC. :)
  NW> #cheap shot off#
  >>
  >> But the newer versions are quite a bit faster. I used to use Linux
  >> until recently and it uses 2.7.2 for everything, so it must be
  >> possible for FreeBSD too. It is a pity to ignore such easy performance
  >> gain.

  TL> I guarantee that I can make any code you can name run 50% faster.

  TL> Provided it does not have to produce correct output (a condition you
  TL> seem to be willing to accept).

I think you are exaggerating a bit about the reliability of 2.7.2.
Look, I'm not defending Linux here against FreeBSD. I switched a few
weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Using FreeBSD saves me a lot of
time and gives me a system that is much easier to administer.

But Linux also is quite a lot of source code where a lot can go wrong,
if you put everything together. Comparable in amount and complexity to
/usr/src of FreeBSD. I had my own "distribution" that was completely
compiled with 2.7.2 (plus some patches made by H.J. Lu) and -O2. There
were no problems (especially not the last months after H.J. Lu's
latest patches) caused by compiler bugs.

Who says 2.6.3 is bug free? There is always a small chance for
compiler bugs. In those rare cases a workaround may be needed. I
doubt that the latest release of 2.7.2 (2.7.2.9) has more bugs than
2.6.3 had.

Peter Mutsaers       |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |     "Quod licet bovis,
plm@simplex.nl       |  the Netherlands    |      non licet Jovi."