Date:      Mon, 01 Dec 2008 16:02:53 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <marc@blackend.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Sort of RFC] Ports and packages for docs

Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently, it's difficult for the average user to update his docs.
> Most of time, the docs are installed during OS install time and are
> never updated.
> Another problem is the fact the doc build requires a lot of diskspace
> and a lot of time on slow architectures/CPUs/etc which is a problem
> during release process.
>
> To sum up, we're lacking of a simple way to install and update docs
> without any compilation operation.
> I'm working since a while on ports for doc, so here are the first
> packages available for test:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~blackend/pkgs/bn-freebsd-doc-20081130.tbz
> http://people.freebsd.org/~blackend/pkgs/da-freebsd-doc-20081130.tbz
> http://people.freebsd.org/~blackend/pkgs/de-freebsd-doc-20081130.tbz
> http://people.freebsd.org/~blackend/pkgs/el-freebsd-doc-20081130.tbz
> <SNIP>
> So just:
>
> pkg_add -r http://people.freebsd.org/~blackend/pkgs/en-freebsd-doc-20081130.tbz
>
> and tell me if you like it :)

This is actually a nice idea - in fact it would be great for the Greek
documentation set, which is constantly changing as more translations are
added.
I just tried the el package and it works great. I could even include
this in some custom package cd sets I am giving out to people.  Having
local docs is very important for people without always-on Internet (and
I know quite a few)

Since as you said you have a way of automating this, my only other
question would be how often will these be updated. Are you planning,
say, for monthly releases?