Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 09:17:50 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Testing serial ports

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 02:36:06AM -0500, Dragoncrest wrote:
> 	I've got a slight problem where I think that I've got a serial port
> 	that has failed on one of my machines.  So I'm looking for the simplest way
> to test a serial port to see if it is in fact working.  Thanks for the info.

Do you have any external serial devices, like a modem?  You could also
use another computer and place a null modem cable between them.  Then
use a command like tip(1) or minicom from the ports to connect to the
device.  What evidence leads you to believe that the serial port is bad?
You're positive that it's turned on in the BIOS?  Does dmesg reveal any
"sio" entries?

Nathan