Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 13:19:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Huh??!?  xterm: Error 14, errno 2: No such file or directory

This is today's -CURRENT:

FreeBSD m147.whistle.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #64: Mon May 14 09:06:50 PDT 2001     root@localhost:/common/C/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W  i386

Earlier today, I built -STABLE:

FreeBSD m147.whistle.com 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #49: Mon May 14 06:37:18 PDT 2001     root@dhcp-140.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W  i386

and it seems OK.

Built -CURRENT & rebooted after mergemaster as usual, and some X
applications (xbattbar; xlockmore; oclock) work OK, but no xterm.  At
least, not from X (XF86-4.0.3).  I tried using Ctl-Alt-F2 to get to
a non-X login, logged in , set DISPLAY to m147:0.0, issued "xterm &",
and got an xterm OK.

Once I did that, I could start another xterm from that one.  Sounds
as if something's hosed $DISPLAY... but then why would other X apps
display OK?  (I just checked; xfig & xv come up fine, direct from the
tvtwm menu.)

So I tried "cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4; sudo make reinstall"; that
done, I re-booted.  Still no joy.

So... I wouldn't normally sent this to the -current list, but I'm
rather at a loss, and as far as I can tell, the difference would seem to
have been a recent one in -CURRENT -- after all, I have been tracking
each of -STABLE and -CURRENT daily (including the weekends, yes).

The one other thing that appears to be fairly bogus (and possibly
related) is that although I was prompted for my SSH "passphrase" in
.xsession as usual, today (for the first time that I can recall), I see
the following:

m147[14] ssh-add -l
Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

Normally, I see something indicating that ssh-agent "did the right
thing" for me....

Now, in order to get -CURRENT to build yesterday, I had patched
src/usr.sbin/kbdcontrol/kbdcontrol.c at revision 1.34 (patch sent out by
John Hay), then did a "make all install" from the src/usr.sbin/kbdcontrol
directory, then a "make buildworld" sequence from /usr/src.

This morning, I see that sobomax patched
src/usr.sbin/kbdcontrol/kbdcontrol.c to revision 1.35, so I blew away my
patched version & re-synced it with the repostory (revision 1.35) before
the "make buildworld".

Maybe I need to re-build world...??!???  (I recall that (part of?) the
issue with yesterday's breakage was that the "make dependencies" uses
some userland programs, /usr/sbin/kbdcontrol among them.....)

Thanks,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.