Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:18:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
To:        Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
Cc:        metcalf@snet.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Checking FreeBSD disk for errors

     Thank you for the information.  I ran bad144 on my hard drives last
     night, but found the information to be quite cryptic.  I also got
     a lot of errors (bad block flag error, cylinder/track/sector
     parameters out of range).  It occurred to me that there are perhaps
     special concerns when my hard drive has both DOS and FreeBSD resident.
     Bad144 seemed to want to scan the entire disk, however wouldn't
     that then be meaningless in the dual install case?

     My DOS slice is considered /dev/wd0s1

     and my FreeBSD slices are

     /dev/wd0s2a ... etc

     Is there a way to get bad144's scanning capabilities to only identify
     with the FreeBSD slices if that is in fact my problem?  Also, is there
     documentation somewhere that might help me to learn to interpret the
     output of bad144?

     Thank You,

     J. Metcalf