Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 15:08:05 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk 1.2.2 compile

Arun Sharma wrote:
> Is there any chance of me getting a binary release of jdk 1.2.2 just
> to be able to recompile my own copy of jdk 1.2.2 ? I understand that
> the main issue is that SCSL doesn't allow redistribution.

That is indeed the main issue.  There is also a technical issue with
regards to Motif vs. Lesstif.

> But how is it that I can download jdk118 binary from freebsd.org ? At
> what point can someone redistribute jdk12 binaries ? Can someone clarify ?

JDK 1.1.8 wasn't released under the SCSL but under a different agreement.
At least one of the porting team members has an agreement which allows him
to distribute binaries for this.

> I'm trying to avoid having to download the whole linux compatibility layer,
> just to be able to compile jdk122.

This is certainly a big handicap of things as they stand now.  You may find
that you can use the minimal binaries and classes available at
http://home.munich.netsurf.de/Thomas.Mittelstaedt/jdk12_FreeBSD.html

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083