Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 09:21:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>, proot@horton.iaces.com
Cc:        dbaker@neosoft.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Smart UPS -- any experts out there?

I'm running a SmartUPS from APS with UPSd (see below) for FreeBSD.  Aside
from some annoying console messages that I haven't taken the time to redirect,
it works fine.  (Paul Root was working on this, back in March (see List
Archives) but I don't know if he solved it.)

We bought a 1400W model to handle a fax server (Pentium 200, 128 M RAM 5 Gig
HD, full tower).  With running the cpu, the monitor, a Cyclades Multiport
Serial Card, 8 external modems, and a printer, we are coming in at around
14-18% load.  So 1400 is overkill (until we have a power failure).

It handles shutdowns in the event it runs out of battery power.  It also
monitors several variables about the UPS itself.  Load, battery status, etc.
One of the interesting things you can do with it (someone else mentioned it
a couple of weeks ago) is to monitor room temperature.  The UPS keeps track of
temp and sends it to the daemon.  So, for example, I know they shut off the
Air Conditioning at 9:05PM on Fridays and it comes back on at 6:22AM on Mondays.
It was even sensitive enough that I could tell that the cleaning crew came in
at 11:07PM on Friday.  :)

Patrick

UPSd can be gotten from:
ftp://ftp.ww.net/pub/wildwind/upsd/