Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 19:41:18 -0400
From:      Ken Lam <klam@awod.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers list)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD talking to Apple Mac?

>I got hold of an ol' Apple Mac Plus. Pretty ancient stuff, that does
>not allow for a ethernet connection. Sofar I did not have much luck
>bringing up PPP on the Mac side.

PPP should work ok.  I know that macslip did (a number of years
ago).

>I know there is something like CAP(?) that can run on Unix machines. But
>I suppose it requires ethernet.

Either that or an appletalk to ethernet bridge.

>What I'd like to have is something like Appletalk (or is it
>called Localtalk in this case?) that I can hookup to a serial port of
>my FBSD box.

Don't know of anything like that.

But if you get the PPP going, you can run ARNS and use the freebsd box
as a appleshare server :)  (slowly though)

-k

---
Ken Lam                                                   lam@awod.com
Integrated Technical Systems
Systems, Networks, and Internet Solutions -- Defining Technology Today
  "'Plug and Play' was only applicable to the original ATARI(tm)"