Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:52:49 +0400
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
To:        Peter Matulis <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -ar (why?)

On 10/16/05, Peter Matulis <petermatulis@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> --- "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Honestly guys, what is this thread about?
>
> Hum, understanding something?
>
> > You're not gonna make portupgrade work any faster or
> > smoother if you weed out a couple of switches from the
> > command-line.
>
> See above.
>
> > I don't mean to bother anyone if you're
> > having fun, but it just seems that portupgrade's manpage
> > covers it all.
>
> Ha, I knew a manpage guy would come around sooner or later.  Don't
> you think I read it already?  I have questions it does not cover.
>
> > If you're not sure - just try it. If something's
> > strange - see if it's a bug, and if you're sure it is - send-pr.
>
> I can use all the switches if I want.  The entire alphabet soup.
> But that won't help me understand what is happening.  I am not
> satisfied with not "seeing something strange".

rg"

Yeah, right. Maybe we could get together some time
and understand what's happening over a cup of tea.

Anyway. I don't know ruby at all. In fact, I don't know
any programming language very well at all.

% more `which portupgrade`
<search for "-a", "-r" and "-R">

    opts.def_option("-a", "--all",
                    "Do with all the installed packages") {
      |$all|
      $recursive =3D false
      $upward_recursive =3D false
    }

    opts.def_option("-r", "--recursive",
                    "Do with all those depending on the given
packages" << NEXTLINE <<
                    "as well") {
      $recursive =3D true unless $all
    }

    opts.def_option("-R", "--upward-recursive",
                    "Do with all those required by the given packages"
<< NEXTLINE <<
                    "as well / Fetch recursively if -F is specified") {
      $upward_recursive =3D true unless $all
      $fetch_recursive =3D true
    }

Fortunately, my somewhat basic English allows me
to understand it. Now what part of that is not covered
by the manpage?